P.O. Box 209 Santa Claus, IN 47579 (812) 937-5000 Fax (812) 937-5500

Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort History

The Koch family led by Bill Koch opened Lake Rudolph Campsites in 1958 to accommodate visitors to Santa Claus Land. Located next door to the theme park and behind the Koch family home, the campground was built around a 7 acre lake with a beach and swimming area. It was an immediate success, and has grown considerably in scope and function since.

In the mid-80ís, the campground was closed, renovated, and then re-opened as the Holiday World Outdoor Resort, a membership-only campground and a Coast to Coast resort. The Koch family built a new home in Christmas Lake Village and their old home was transformed into the campground office and meeting space. A short time later, the name was then changed to Lake Rudolph Outdoor Resort. Several hundred memberships were sold, and several members of the campground remain today. On December 27, 2008, an accidental fire destroys most of the Lake Rudolph main office building, the original home of Bill & Pat Koch in Santa Claus, Indiana.

Lake Rudolph features 272 Family Rental RVs and Cabins nestled in a wooded setting. The campground also includes 188 full-hookup RV sites (with over 100 paved sites) and 40 Tent Sites with water & electric. Amenities include Santa's Splash Down WaterPark, Blitzen Bay swimming pool, kiddie pool, miniature golf, fishing lake, paddleboats, playgrounds, camp store, Blitzen Kitchen, outdoor pavilion, game room, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, nature trails, free WiFi, free Holiday World shuttle, and discount tickets to Holiday World & Splashin' Safari.

In 2011, the new office for Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort was completed and opened during Christmas of 2010. Rudolph's Christmas Cabins are now open. These 25 new cabins feature large lofts and decks, flat screen TVs, upscale appliances, electric fireplace, and gas grill. Other upgrades include 4 new Super King Rentals RVs which are replacing 4 Standard Size Rental RVs.

For 2012, Lake Rudolph is adding a minimum of six Rudolph’s Christmas Cabins. A new area is also being developed for additional Christmas Cabins in the future. An additional 67 golf cars will be available, bringing the total available golf car rentals to 200. All rental golf cars are now electric which makes them quieter, safer, and eco-friendly.

Investing approximately $4 million for the 2013 season, Lake Rudolph added five new water slides in a complex called Santa's Splash Down WaterPark. Expansion plans also included 22 additional Rudolph's Christmas Cabins, one of which is handicap accessible. Other improvements included more parking, new sidewalks and road widening to improve traffic flow.

Reservations are taken year-round at our toll free number: 1-877-4RUDOLPH (1-877-478-3657). We also have an automated information line at 1-877-YES RUDY (1-877-937-7839). Our website address is www.lakerudolph.com.

Since 1958, the campground has been owned and operated by the Koch Family (Santa Claus Land, Inc. and then Koch Development Corporation).

In May 2002, a new company was created by Philip Koch and his sister Kristi George. The new company is HO HO HOldings, LLC, which consists of Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, the Santa Claus Christmas Store, Santa Claus Land of Lights, Kringle Place Shopping Center, and various area real estate.

Holiday World Theme Park, Splashin' Safari Water Park, and the Holiday Village subdivision is still owned and operated by Koch Development Corporation.

The Koch family continues a great tradition of providing wonderful family destinations in the heart of Southern Indiana. We hope to see you soon and Merry Christmas from Santa Claus, Indiana!

Campground Owner: HO HO HOldings,LLC

General Manager: Wayne Utley, CPO wutley@lakerudolph.com
Marketing Director: Dave Lovell, CPO dave@lakerudolph.com

Return to the Top


HO HO HOldings History | Kringle Place Shopping Center History
Koch Development Corporation History | Holiday World & Splashin' Safari History
Koch Enterprises History | Santa Claus, Indiana History